By Andrew F. Humphries
Read or Download D. H. Lawrence, Transport and Cultural Transition: 'A Great Sense of Journeying' PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
Illustrations were a big component to the various such a lot largely learn versions of Shakespeare's performs, from the frontispieces to Nicholas Rowe's 1709 version to the a number of pictures put in the textual content of Victorian variants. via symbols the illustrations have explored language and personality; by means of allusion to prior work they've got provided serious readings; and by means of gesture, surroundings and dress they've got redesigned the performs in the visible vocabulary in their personal occasions.
How can one make country administrative structures fascinating, include an summary public ethos and provides heroism to homogeneity? The self-discipline of literature and paperwork dismisses Weber's 'neurocrat'. Milton, Trollope and Hare are case reports on enforcing the 'what if' visions literature explored in the course of a interval of serious switch in public provider
Irish occasions sketches an alternate notion of ancient time. It argues that methods of residing which are recalcitrant to capitalist good judgment, and accordingly precise for destruction, should not backward remainders of superseded traditions, yet are themselves variations of older formations that replied to past waves of modernization.
Bluestocking Feminism and British-German Cultural move, 1750–1837 examines the techniques of cultural move among Britain and Germany throughout the own Union, the interval from 1714 to 1837 while the kings of britain have been concurrently Electors of Hanover. whereas students have commonly fascinated with the political and diplomatic implications of the private Union, Alessa Johns bargains a brand new viewpoint through tracing sociocultural repercussions and investigating how, within the interval of the yank and French Revolutions, Britain and Germany generated particular discourses of liberty although they have been nonrevolutionary nations.
- Masculinities in British Adventure Fiction, 1880–1915
- Fictions of Authorship in Late Elizabethan Narratives: Euphues in Arcadia (Oxford English Monographs)
- Samuel Beckett's Theatre in America: The Legacy of Alan Schneider as Beckett's American Director (New Interpretations of Beckett in the 21st Century)
- Meeting the Foreign in the Middle Ages: Xenological Approaches in Medieval Phenomena (Medieval Casebooks)
- Kipling and Beyond: Patriotism, Globalisation and Postcolonialism
- Literature and the Encounter with God in Post-Reformation England
Additional resources for D. H. Lawrence, Transport and Cultural Transition: 'A Great Sense of Journeying'