By A. Mousoutzanis
Read or Download Fin-de-Siècle Fictions, 1890s-1990s: Apocalypse, Technoscience, Empire PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
Illustrations were a huge section of some of the such a lot greatly learn variants of Shakespeare's performs, from the frontispieces to Nicholas Rowe's 1709 version to the a number of pictures positioned in the textual content of Victorian versions. via symbols the illustrations have explored language and personality; through allusion to previous work they've got provided serious readings; and by means of gesture, environment and gown they've got redesigned the performs in the visible vocabulary in their personal instances.
How can one make kingdom administrative platforms fascinating, embrace an summary public ethos and provides heroism to homogeneity? The self-discipline of literature and paperwork dismisses Weber's 'neurocrat'. Milton, Trollope and Hare are case stories on enforcing the 'what if' visions literature explored in the course of a interval of serious switch in public provider
Irish occasions sketches another belief of ancient time. It argues that methods of dwelling which are recalcitrant to capitalist common sense, and hence distinctive for destruction, are usually not backward remainders of superseded traditions, yet are themselves variations of older formations that replied to previous waves of modernization.
Bluestocking Feminism and British-German Cultural move, 1750–1837 examines the methods of cultural move among Britain and Germany throughout the own Union, the interval from 1714 to 1837 while the kings of britain have been concurrently Electors of Hanover. whereas students have quite often excited by the political and diplomatic implications of the private Union, Alessa Johns deals a brand new point of view through tracing sociocultural repercussions and investigating how, within the interval of the yank and French Revolutions, Britain and Germany generated designated discourses of liberty even supposing they have been nonrevolutionary nations.
- Theatre on Terror: Subject Positions in British Drama (Contemporary Drama in English Studies)
- Women in the Seventeenth-Century Quaker Community: A Literary Study of Political Identities, 1650–1700 (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
- Subordinate Subjects: Gender, the Political Nation, and Literary Form in England, 1588–1688 (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
- Early Modern Diplomacy, Theatre and Soft Power: The Making of Peace (Early Modern Literature in History)
- A People of One Book: The Bible and the Victorians
- The Papist Represented: Literature and the English Catholic Community, 1688–1791
Extra resources for Fin-de-Siècle Fictions, 1890s-1990s: Apocalypse, Technoscience, Empire